Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Death, Imminence, Clarity and Purpose

The Tibetan book of the Dead provides a preliminary meditation for death. To always remember that death is imminent.

We all try to escape the inevitability of death or try to forget about it's presence. We try to cheat death or prolong it. Even on our deathbed we try not to feel the pain of death. Heidegger even notes in Being and Time (supplemental notes here) that even at a funeral, in the presence of a loved one's death, we don't even dare submit ourselves to it's power. Rather we find ourselves lulling about as if it almost did happen.


Every time I place my own impermanence next to what I'm doing, I usually get a response like "Oh shit. I should be bothering with this." It helps clear my way. On rare occasions I get the response "Yes. This is something I can bring with me to death."

"Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss. "
-- "Wallstreet" right before Charlie Sheen's character is about to be carted off by the SEC

Facing death reveals your character and your character defines your story. Your story gives you a purpose for existing. It develops your character and refines you. When you truly have a purpose and humbly submit that to life, death and everything in between you give it your gold. And the Universe, your Soul will give you every single resource and challenge to help you complete that purpose. When you express and share it with everyone in a unique way (because everyone IS unique and infinite) without hesitation or fear you naturally attract those people who get it. They harmonize and resonate with your gift and presence. You become more than just a 'guy'. You are a man. A man of purpose. A man of true passion. And when you express it, you are truly radiant. Much, much more than the gold you gave.

I can go on and on about this. I can tell you about how women (truly beautiful women) are attract to this type of man. I can tell you have there have been a handful of men like this in the past. I can tell you about initiation rights in tribal societies designed to make you into a man. But more importantly I must tell you that you have to choose this. It is self initiation. No one else can tell you that you are ready. DON'T BE NEUTRAL! You might as well cut off your balls and throw then off a cliff if you plan on being neutral.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment